HALE SCHOOL HIRES CULINARY HERO

November 4, 2021

Acclaimed local chef Herb Faust will be spicing up the menu at Hale School next year.

Hale School has decided to return to in-house catering and recently announced Herb’s appointment as Executive Chef. In this role he will oversee all dining at the School, including the canteen, boarding meals, staff lunches and event catering, as well as being responsible for sourcing quality local produce.

Herb has been working in the kitchen for over 20 years, after developing a passion for food early on through his Thai heritage. After honing his skills in restaurant kitchens and then as Head Chef at Scotch College, he applied to be a contestant on a television cooking show that was to propel him to culinary stardom. He was the only contender to defeat an Iron Chef on the short-lived Australian version of the Japanese cult show, after taking on one of the country’s greats, Guy Grossi, in 2010.

Following the public recognition that this upset garnered, Herb decided to go out on his own and started his eponymous catering company. At the same time, he volunteered his skills to help raise money for charities that are close to his heart, including the Starlight Foundation, Breast Cancer WA and the Cancer Council.

The business provided a fantastic platform to show off his culinary skills and he enjoyed the thrill of serving many high-profile guests and brands. However, after a decade at the helm, he decided it was time for a change. 

While moving into school catering might seem rather unglamorous compared to his former endeavours, Herb insists that this is the job he really wants now.

“I was looking for a role where I could progress my creative and management skills, so this opportunity excited me,” he said. “I am looking forward to being part of a larger team and providing fresh, delicious food to the students, staff and school community.”

So, what’s on the cards under Herb’s leadership in the kitchen at Hale School in 2022?

“I am looking forward to working with the catering team and sharing my love of cooking fresh, in-season produce from scratch as well as creating exciting function food for the Hale community.” 

Share Article